Many people think that creamy foods are usually unhealthy, however this recipe certainly isn’t. Using chopped tomatoes and quark gives this recipe it’s creamy texture. And the smoked bacon reduces the syns compared to similar recipes which may include fatty pieces of pancetta!
- 200g conchiglie pasta
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube (we used oxo)
- 500ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp dried Italian oregano
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 8 lean smoked bacon medallions
- 1/2 pot of unflavoured quark
- 1 tsp sweetener
- Fry light
- Salt and Pepper
- chopped fresh chives to garnish
- Cube up the smoked bacon into small bite-sized pieces using scissors (it is a lot easier than a knife!). Spray a large pan with Fry Light and over a high heat, cook the bacon until browned, mixing to avoid sticking
- Dissolve the oxo cube in the hot water
- Add the grated garlic, stock, oregano, sweetener, pasta and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Mix well and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for 7-9 minutes until the pasta is cooked to liking.
- Remove the lid once cooked, and the pasta is cooked, stir for 4 minutes (constantly!) until a sauce begins to form. Season with salt/pepper. Add more water as you go, if it starts to stick.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the quark, mixing until as creamy as you like. You may find adding a small amount first is best, then taste, and add some more if required!
- Season again if you’d like, and spoon into bowls. Add the chives, and enjoy!