There’s a bit of a chill outside today and so having something warming ready for this evening is a good idea – and this is a sure family favourite. The mixture of extra lean mince, beans and spices makes a lovely sauce, and the best part is that it’s totally free on a Extra Easy day. Pile it up with loads of rice and you’ve got a great meal ready to feed several people.
But if you don’t have a few people to cook for, this is also a recipe which you can store for later, and it tastes even better (in my opinion) the next day in a giant Jacket Potato for lunch (which also is free – just add some salad to hit your 1/3 superfree!)
This recipe uses a slow cooker – a great tool to ensure you have a meal ready as soon as you get home from work!
- 500g minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (600g) jar passata
- 2 (400g) tins kidney beans, liquid reserved from one tin
- 1 (400g) tin cannellini beans, liquid reserved
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Prep: 15 mins |Cook: 8 hours
1. Place the mince in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain fat.
2. Place the mince in a slow cooker, and mix in remaining ingredients.
3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
Syn Free on Extra Easy